|China Resources Building, 25th Floor
No. 8 Jianguomenbei Avenue
Beijing 100005, China
T: +86 10 8513 5888
F: +86 10 8513 5866
We were among the first international legal practice to work in China. For more than 16 years, our strong presence in Hong Kong has allowed us to assist clients with a broad range of projects throughout China. With our offices in Beijing and Hong Kong, We now have resources in two of China's key commercial and regulatory centers, enhancing our ability to provide effective service and support to our clients in this important global market.
Lawyers in our Beijing and Hong Kong offices handle a wide range of transactional, corporate, commercial, energy, investment, finance, trade, regulatory and other matters for our clients in and involving China.
Our clients include multinational companies, multilateral institutions, private enterprises, sovereign-controlled entities, individuals and others doing business in China and globally. Many of the lawyers working in our China team are natives of China and are multilingual.
Examples of the types of matters and transactions that we handle in our China team include:
- Cross-border acquisitions and mergers, joint ventures and foreign direct investment
- Infrastructure project development and finance
- Oil and gas and other energy transactions
- Private equity and venture capital investments and transactions
- Commercial real estate investment, development and finance
- Cross-border equipment leasing
- Manufacturing, licensing, distribution, agency, technology transfer and technical assistance agreements
- Corporate compliance matters
- International trade matters
- Arbitration and dispute resolution
- Intellectual property matters
Core international service areas
We are proud to have internationally-prominent teams in the following areas, among others:
China cross-border transactional team
An important part of our international team involves the representation of clients that are engaged in investment, acquisition, project development, financing, manufacturing, trading and other transactions and matters in and involving China.
We handle both in-bound and out-bound matters with respect to China. We have advised many American, European and other businesses on the strategy, structure, documentation, negotiation and implementation of their investments, acquisitions, financings and other projects in China. We also have represented some of China's major emerging multinational companies as they expand their businesses globally.
From deepwater exploration to power plant financings, we have assisted our many energy industry clients with virtually every significant legal issue and matter affecting the international energy industry. Our Beijing and Hong Kong offices include experienced energy law practitioners who have worked internationally for most of their careers. With experience in all sectors of the energy industry, we work with a wide range of clients throughout Asia.
Our clients include major international energy companies, independent oil companies, governments, national oil companies, energy producers and generators, transporters and transmission companies, refiners and processors, construction companies, energy service companies, private and multilateral lenders and others.
Structured and project finance
Our structured and project finance team is similarly global and includes a wide range of international projects, transactions and markets. Our extensive experience includes representing multilateral and other lenders, sponsors, developers, institutional investors, contractors, operators, lessors and others in all areas relating to structured and project finance and infrastructure development.
Our project finance lawyers have assisted clients with infrastructure projects in China for many years. Our longstanding experience in China has put us at the leading edge of international legal practices in advising on project finance and development transactions in the region.
Arbitration and disputes
We consistently rank among the leading legal practices in the world in international arbitration, alternative dispute resolution and litigation.
We also have one of the leading intellectual property teams and is consistently ranked among the leading U.S. firms for patent, trademark, copyright, licensing and other intellectual property matters.
Corporate / M&A
- Lawyers in our China team have been selected by Chambers Global as being among the leading lawyers in China-related corporate / M&A for each of the past five years (2007-2011)
- The Chambers Asia Guide recognized the firm as a leading legal practice for its Corporate/M&A work in China. (2011)
- The Chambers Global Guide recognized the firm as a leading legal practice for its Corporate/M&A work in China/Hong Kong. (2011)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide recognized the firm for its Corporate/M&A work in Hong Kong. (2012)
- Lawyers in our China team have been selected by Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2009 as leading lawyers in the general corporate and M&A service areas
- Chinalaw Profiles 2008 Directory, a guide to greater China's legal practice and legal markets, listed the firm among the top M&A firms in China
Projects and energy
- The Chambers Global Guide recognized the firm for its work in Projects & Energy in Asia. (2011)
- The Chambers Asia Guide ranked the firm as a leading firm in seven service areas and ranked six of our lawyers as leading individuals. For two consecutive years, Chambers has recognized the firm as a leading firm in Projects, Infrastructure & Energy throughout Asia. (2011)
- The Chambers Global Guide listed the firm as one of the leading legal practices for Energy & Natural Resources in Asia. (2011)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, a guide to Asia's commercial legal practices, has ranked the firm as one of the recommended firms in China and Hong Kong projects and energy. (2012, 2013)
- Chambers Global 2011 and Chambers Asia 2011 have recognized the firm as a leading firm and a lawyer as being among the leading individuals in Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration (China)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific has ranked the firm as one of the recommended firms in China and Hong Kong in dispute resolution. (2012)
- Asialaw Profiles 2011 recommends our dispute resolution team in Asia and a Hong Kong-based lawyer a prominent litigator and arbitration specialist.
- The International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitration (2010, 2011) and the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2010, 2011) have named a Hong Kong-based lawyer as being among the "world's pre-eminent commercial arbitration specialists"
- A Hong Kong-based lawyer has been recommended in the Guide to the World's Leading Commercial Arbitration Experts (Euromoney, 8th edition, 2009)