Shauna Johnson Clark joined the firm's Houston office in 1994 and was appointed Partner-in-Charge of the Houston office in 2011. A nationally recognized expert in labor and employment law, Shauna is a trusted advisor to clients in a wide variety of industries, from energy and utility entities to healthcare and consumer products providers to banking and finance. Shauna is board certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Shauna is committed to providing the highest quality service in a timely and cost-efficient manner to each client she represents. Shauna offers a broad range of services to employers ranging from preventive advice and training to aggressive litigation when a mutually agreeable settlement cannot be reached.
Shauna has led teams in jury, bench and administrative trials under all employment law statutes, including class and collective actions under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Defense verdict in jury trial for multi-million dollar defamation case filed against medical institution
- Defense verdict after arbitration on behalf of national transportation company in FLSA collective action
- Favorable outcome in multi-plaintiff discrimination, retaliation and hostile work environment claims against national transportation company
- Defense verdict in jury trial of race and national origin claim filed against hospital system
- Defense verdict after jury trial of racial discrimination, retaliation and violation of the Nurses' Whistleblower Protection Act against hospital system
- Defense verdict after jury trial of race, national origin, age and disability discrimination and FMLA retaliation filed against hospital system
- Favorable unanimous jury verdict for the defendant in worker's compensation retaliation claim for food service and food packaging company
- Defense award after arbitration of sex discrimination case against database technology company
Shauna is actively involved in the Houston community. She believes that it is important to give back to the community; therefore she offers continuous pro bono legal services to a variety of not-for-profit and charitable organizations. She provides legal services to an organization that supports victims of domestic abuse and to a local Christian school.
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- "One of 25 Influential Black Women in Business," The Network Journal (2012)
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment (2009 - 2012)
- Best Lawyers, Labor & Employment (2010 - 2013)
- "Texas Super Lawyer," Thomson Reuters (2005 - 2012)
- Center for Houston's Future Leadership, Graduate (2004)
Shauna is a frequent speaker on labor and employment matters. She has presented speeches and conducted seminars for the American Bar Association, the United Way Non-Profit Law Seminar, the Houston Human Resource Management Association, the Texas Bar Continuing Legal Education, the Texas Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration, and the Greater Houston Society of Healthcare Risk Management.
1994 - J.D., cum laude, Tulane Law School
1990 - B.A., Political Science, Louisiana State University
Shauna enjoys spending time with her husband and four children. She also enjoys working on causes that involve the advocacy for children and furthering the economic development and vibrancy of Houston, Texas.
- Labor and Employment Law
- United Way, Board of Directors
- Texas Executive Women, Board of Directors
- Theatre Under the Stars, Director (2000 - 2003)