Rosemarie Kanusky joined the San Antonio location in 1999. As counsel, she focuses her practice on appellate matters. She has briefed and argued a variety of appeals and original proceedings in state and federal appellate courts. She also provides support for the Firm's trial attorneys by researching legal issues and drafting corresponding motions and pleadings.
Prior to joining the firm, Rose served as a staff attorney for the Fourth Court of Appeals assigned to Justice Paul W. Green. Before her assignment to Justice Green, she was assigned to all justices of the Fourth Court of Appeals as a research attorney. Rose served as a briefing attorney for Justice Tom Rickhoff of the Fourth Court of Appeals, as well as Justice Tim Taft of the First Court of Appeals and Justice Lee Duggan of the First Court of Appeals. She was a judicial intern for the First Court of Appeals and the Honorable Sim Lake, U.S. District Court Judge.
- Obtained reversal of $65.5 million judgment for breach of fiduciary duty
- Successful defense of a summary judgment in favor of a product manufacturer
- Obtained reversal of $62 million judgment based on premises liability
- Successful defense of an order dismissing a medical malpractice claim
- Obtained reversal of $5 million judgment for breach of duty of good faith and fair dealing
- Successful defense of a summary judgment in favor of a physician in a malpractice claim
- Obtained reversal of $8 million judgment based on premises liability
- Mandamus: Successful prosecution and defense of Texas mandamus proceedings, including attorney-client and trade-secret/confidential privileges, discovery issues, trial consolidation and arbitration
State Bar of Texas
- Appellate Section
San Antonio Bar Association
- Appellate Section
Rose has held several offices in the Appellate Section of the San Antonio Bar and has served on several committees for the Appellate Section of the State Bar of Texas. In 1997, she served as recording secretary for the Local Rules Committee of the Fourth Court of Appeals.
- San Antonio's Best Appellate Lawyers (2005, 2007, 2011)
- Co-author with O. Rey Rodriguez and Mark Emery, "Hall's Standards of Review in Texas," 42 St. Mary's L.J. 3, 2010
- Speaker and author, "Nonjury Appeals," SBOT Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course, September 2002
- Co-author with W. Wendell Hall et al., "What's New in Standards of Review," U.T. 11th Annual Conference on State & Federal Appeals, May 2001
- Member of the Seminar Planning Committee, speaker and author, "Appealing Non-Jury Cases," SBOT Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course, September 2000
- Member of the Seminar Planning Committee, speaker and author, "A Look Inside the Fourth Court of Appeals," Appellate Law in the New Millennium: Bridging Theoretical Foundation with Practical Application, March 1999
- Member of the Seminar Planning Committee and co-author with Justice Sarah B. Duncan, "Proposed TRAP Amendments: Introduction to a Brave New World," Practice Before the Fourth & Thirteenth Courts of Appeals, May 1997
- Member of the Seminar Planning Committee, speaker and author, "Briefing Clerks Do's and Don'ts," Practice Before the Fourth Court of Appeals, November 1995
- "Pharmaceutical Harmonization: Standardizing Regulations Among the United States, the European Economic Community, and Japan," 16 Hous. J. Int'l L., 1994
- "How KM Was Won," 28th Annual Educational Conference, International Legal Technology Association, Phoenix, August 2005
- "E-Brief: Creating a Dynamic Digital Brief," Dallas Bar Association, Appellate Section, Dallas, September 2003
- "Nonjury Appeals," Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course, State Bar of Texas, Austin, September 2002
- "Appealing Non-Jury Cases," Advanced Civil Appellate Practice Course, State Bar of Texas, Austin, September 2000
1994 - J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center
1988 - B.A., summa cum laude, Our Lady of the Lake University
Rose was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1994 and is also authorized to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Outside of work, Rose enjoys reading, gardening, and time spent with family, friends, and an undisclosed number of cats.
- Historic Preservation
- Japanese Culture
- Association of Traditional Rug Hooking Artists (ATHA) (1997 - 2013)
- The International Guild of Handhooking Rug Makers (TIGHR) (2008-2013)
- Member of several museums in San Antonio
- King William Fair, An Official Fiesta San Antonio Event, Chair (2006 - 2009), Chair Select (2005 - 2006), Planning Committee (2000 - 2012)