Todd Sorrell joined the firm in 1994 and is a member of the firm's litigation department and international/ADR group. He is the first attorney since the opening of the office in 1989 to have risen through the ranks of the Los Angeles office to be made partner, which occurred on January 1, 2003.
In addition to his international focus, Todd has a broad range of litigation experience, including commercial litigation, arbitrations, international disputes, trade secret, trademark, and patent litigation, securities litigation/arbitration, insurance bad faith and coverage disputes, toxic tort and pharmaceutical/medical device litigation, products liability, banking, real estate issues, administrative law, licensing issues, gaming litigation, employment/labor litigation, collective and class actions, and environmental/water rights disputes. In 2004, Todd was named to the list of Southern California Rising Stars in the legal profession, and has been repeatedly selected as a Southern California "Super Lawyer."
Todd focuses his practice on complex litigation and arbitration (domestic and international), and has tried jury and non-jury trials, as well as binding arbitrations and administrative law hearings. Todd also serves as an arbitrator and a mediator in both international and domestic matters.
- Obtained a defense verdict in insurance bad faith trial in Los Angeles Superior Court; affirmed on appeal
- Obtained a seven figure award in a patent infringement jury trial in federal court; affirmed in part on appeal
- Defended Fortune 500 company in 6 week federal court jury trial against wage and hour claims brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Defeated class certification, successfully defended, and obtained dismissals of various unlawful advertisement, product liability, and breach of warranty lawsuits against manufacturer of vapor recovery gasoline nozzles
- Handled litigation relating to various familial disputes arising from the administration of a trust holding land, leases, oil rights, and cash
- Defended publicly traded company in wrongful termination/retaliation lawsuit and government investigation related to allegations of the unlawful killings of protected species
- Defended water district in environmental/water rights dispute
- Defended a security consulting company in binding arbitration relating to an undercover investigation
- Successfully demurred to 92 count lender liability complaint
- Obtained preliminary injunction against State and obtained verdicts in favor of clients in two trials brought by California Attorney General relating to management of California card club; affirmed on appeal
- Successfully demurred to numerous claims for loss of nine figure revenue stream filed against accounting firm for alleged failure to prevent theft of high-level game pieces used by fast-food restaurants
- Successfully handled the trial and appeals of two real estate disputes involving a case of first impression
- Successfully prosecuted binding real estate arbitration; client received all requested damages as well as attorneys' fees
- Obtained temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions, and permanent injunctions relating to former employees and management in trade secret misappropriation cases
- Successfully defeated a request for a preliminary injunction regarding an alleged exclusive licensing and distribution agreement
- Successfully handled litigation relating to gene therapy technology
- Successfully investigated and handled numerous matters arising from forged documents
- Obtained numerous summary judgments for clients (plaintiffs and defendants) on a range of issues including breach of contract, fraud, emotional distress, bad faith, forgery, statutes of limitation, judicial estoppel, and competence
- Successfully interfaced with and handled State agencies responsible for regulating client products and operations
- Successfully defended pro bono unlawful detainer cases for low income tenants
- Successfully handled numerous appeals in both state and federal courts, including the Federal Circuit
- Successfully defeated injunction request in shareholder derivative suit
- Successfully defended numerous trade secret, trademark, and patent claims
- Handled numerous products liability matters
- Served as arbitrator on international matter through the International Chamber of Commerce, International Court of Arbitration
Los Angeles Superior Court ADR panel of mediators
- American Bar Association
- International Section
- Litigation Section
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Judicial Elections Evaluation Committee, former member
- Government Resources Committee, former member
- Dispute Resolution Services, Inc., former member of Board of Directors
- Southwest Arbitration Committee of the ICC, former member
Foreign Law Expertise: International Centre for Dispute Resolution, Confronting Cultural Differences in International Arbitration; The Institute for Transnational Arbitration, The Center for American and International Law: The Art of Arbitrating; ICC International Commercial Dispute Resolution: Flexible Solutions for an Evolving World; International Centre for Dispute Resolution; International Law Section of State Bar of California; CANACO: Decision 2006: Debates on Key Issues in International Arbitration; ICC Institute of World Business Law: PIDA Seminar: International Commercial Arbitration.
- "Southern California Super Lawyer," Law and Politics (2005, 2006)
- "Southern California Rising Star," Law and Politics and Los Angeles Magazine (2004)
- "Breath of Life Award," Crusade for a Cure, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (2004)
- "The Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services," The Board of Governors of the State Bar of California (2004, 2005)
- Co-Author with Lesli Hutchinson, "To Spot and Keep the Job, Stand out from the Crowd," Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 10, 2004
- "Problemas en su Apartamento," La Familia magazine, August 2004
- Co-Author with Robert Dawson, "Spin City," Los Angeles Daily Journal, May 22, 1997 (concerning regulation of California Gaming Industry)
- "How To Prepare A Fact Witness To Testify In A Fracking (Hydraulic Fracturing) Case," The Seminar Group, Santa Barbara, California, February 8, 2013
- "Trying an FLSA Collective Action Case: Top 10 Things You Need to Know," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Web Seminar, May 19, 2010
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Pasadena, California
1994 - J.D., UCLA School of Law
1991 - B.A., with high honors, Spanish, University of California at Santa Barbara
While an undergraduate, Todd spent one year studying at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
While in law school, Todd served as judicial extern for the Honorable Consuelo Marshall, United States District Court, Central District of California.
Todd was admitted to practice law in California in 1994 and is also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the Federal Circuit.
Todd's interests include travel, reading, writing books, religious studies, and spending as much time as possible with his family. He also enjoys numerous outdoor and sporting activities including fishing, scuba diving, weightlifting, motorcycle riding, and construction. He has also published a children's book entitled "Journey to the Bending Light."
Active in public service, Todd dedicates a significant amount of time to pro bono legal services through his firm, and is a former member of the Board of Directors for Dispute Resolution Services, Inc., a non-profit corporation of the Los Angeles County Bar Association dedicated to providing affordable conflict resolution services to the greater Los Angeles Community. He is also an active fundraiser for a number of different charities. In addition, Todd is on the Advisory Board of Directors for the Jim Burke Education Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting teachers and students in the community.
- Spanish - Fluent